Monday, August 24, 2009

The Cat Food Is Out of The Bag




I'm no fashion diva. I know that this is a statement of the obvious and those of you that see me on a regular basis can indeed confirm this fact. I pay homage to cheap denim and go- with- everything shirts. My criteria for new shoes includes but one thing: must go with casual/business/formal attire. I thought Prada was the formal name for the pitchfork/cape ensemble devils casually sport. Having said that I do try to maintain a certain level of shall I say, "crispness" when I go out. Clean clothes is a must and from time to time I might just spring for a new purse.

Above you see my current purse. It's seen better days. Probably way back two years ago when it hung happily and carefree on an end cap at Target. But, alas, I purchased it. And from that time forth it has been subjected to abuses no self-respecting tote should ever have to endure. It's been flung, dropped, crushed, stuffed with snot filled tissues, laced with baby formula and tiny, plastic Barbie shoes. Old, mashed pieces of gum cling to the nearly dead liner. A hole has appeared inside one of the pockets where at any given moment a lip stick, cell phone/mp3 player, three dimes and a nickle float in the neverland between liner and fabric.

At one particularly cruel moment a 4 year old girl (who will remain nameless) crammed it with cat food that spilled all over the check out counter as her mother pulled out her wallet. It is a gut wrenching, gritty story. And as I wandered through the grocery store blindly feeding my purse more snotty tissues from my mucus filled children I thought, just for a small moment about a shiny new purse. One free of holes and dirt and old coupons. A sassy, strong purse! But no, that thought left my head as fast as all-you-can-eat-crab legs at the China Buffet.

What I need is something impervious to liquids in all forms, able maintain its shape after numerous beatings, and look spiffy after a simple swipe of a paper towel. A purse that could hold cat food and dead bugs with pride. Oh, and also easy on the family budget. You see pictured above my future purse. Eat that Coach!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha ha ha...
    a kindred spirit:) the dreaded green canvas gap "purse" i have that is actually a men's caryall couldn't look worse. people in the family keep buying me nicer things, and telling me i need a grown-ups purse, but i always go back eventually.
    you need some chaco's. they are not only all occasion (josh won't let me wear them to church...) but all terrain and waterproof!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so witty. I am a fellow non-designer purse carrier. One of my favorite stories to tell is how my mother-in-law gave me a Dooney&Burke (sp?) purse and I didn't know what it was so I gave it to Goodwill. She was not too happy when she informed me that it was a $200 purse I'd just given away. Maybe this Christmas she'll just give me a Wal-mart bag.

    ReplyDelete