Friday, June 4, 2010

Avatar Review: If you hate warmed over leftovers you will not like this movie!

Poster



We finally rented "Avatar" and watched it last week. My impression: Fern Gully Meets Star Wars. Yes, the CGI was great but unfortunately for many movie makers I am a story gal. Pretty pictures will only hold my interest for so long. And I found the Avatar story predictable and warmed over. Jaded, depressed Marine goes on a mercenary mission to a far away planet that just happens to be a natural utopia. Stupid humans do not realize this because, gasp!, they are greedy. We even have a homicidal general who spouts lines like "Let's get this done. I wanna be home for dinner." as the at-one-with-nature natives flee from gas bombs of homicidal general. Jaded Marine becomes a native through advanced science so advanced movie makers don't really explain how it works! Marine sees the folly, oh the human folly, and tries to protect natives from evil corporation. Final battle scene involves nature kicking butt and machines and humans leaving planet. If you've seen the final battle scenes in Return of the Jedi then you can probably skip this part of the movie. It's the same thing minus the Ewoks

3 comments:

  1. Bold statements! Are you sure you aren't suffering from withdraws like those crazy folks claiming depression because it seems so real? Yeah, I was dazzled by the special effects, and enjoyed it, but yes, it was a bit contrived. The general was over the top for me too, actually laughed in the theater at stuff he said! Fern gully meets star wars...that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you in advance for saving me a couple hours of my life. b/c you KNOW how I feel about leftovers...And thanks for the reminder, I am going to have the kids watch fern gully.

    ReplyDelete