Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Keeping it Local and Reusable bags actually work!

  

 With gas prices continuing to jump with every little hiccup in the world I'm doing more and more of my shopping right here in Pulaski. The other day I needed some garden supplies and was pleasantly surprised when I found most of what I needed less than two miles from my house at Magic Mart. Magic Mart also carried my brand of printer cartridge as well as a new battery for the riding lawn mower. So, glad I didn't have to hike to Radford or C'burg. In fact I'm trying new stores like tractor supply and dollar general in an effort to find stuff without having to go into C'burg. Sometimes I pay a little more but I think I'd pay a little more to save gas and time.
     Also loving the Dollar Tree, again less than two miles from home. The other day I found Fruitables drink boxes in packages of 3 at the Dollar Tree. I pay 3.69 for nine at Kroger. Also stumbled upon a 32.oz bag of rice for 1.00 compared to 1.79 at Kroger.
     I've discovered the joy of reusable bags! Personally, I've always missed the days of paper bags. Funny how back in the late 80's paper bags were seen as environmentally unsound and plastic was the wave of the future. My family always saved the paper bags to use for garbage, crafts, and book covers for school. Anyway, one day I had enough to the wimpy plastic bags and bought two reusable bags. Wow! Not only were they sturdy and roomy but not one ripped open on me! We're not over run with bags after I unload the groceries. Luv it! Just don't expect to see a Smart Car in my driveway anytime soon!
  
  

1 comment:

  1. For all my earth-friendly savy-ness, I have not yet converted to reusable bags, I feel guilty, I really do and I'm not sure what's holding me back, it's certainly not the need to have the whole cabinet under my sink full of plastic bags. I guess it's that's I'm afraid I won't have enough reusables for my groceries or remembering them, or the initial expense, all lame excuses, I know.

    ReplyDelete